2019 Pinnacle Awards® Submission Call for Entries Guidelines
Welcome to the official online entry form for placing your submission into competition for the 2019 Pinnacle Awards®. The awards are intended to celebrate designs that are produced in large numbers for sale to consumers. Submissions are open to all furniture designers and manufacturers. The recipient of the Pinnacle Award is the designer or designers who were directly involved in the “design craft” of the products(s). The award is meant to honor the designer; the person who puts the pen to paper bringing the idea to life.
Products entered must be in current production and must have been shown and sold at one of the major retail furniture markets (worldwide); or be available to U.S. Consumers through the following distribution channels: Internet Retailers or Catalog Retailers or Brick & Mortar Retail Stores. Completed entries must be received by July 31, 2019.
Student Pinnacle Award Entry Fee: No Charge
Pinnacle Award Submission Entry Fee for Non ISFD Member: $150
Pinnacle Award Submission Entry Fee for ISFD Member: $75
Pinnacle Awards® Entry Categories
If your entry doesn’t fit into a category, or the category you have selected, it will be re-categorized.
Home furnishings items that attach to or hang on a wall Including but not limited to wall mirrors, wall decor, clocks, (does not include wall art, paintings or prints). Entry may be by piece or group.
Any home furnishings accessories that are floor standing (sculpture, large planters or vases, screens, pedestals, carts, etc.). Entry may be by piece or by group.
Bedroom – Luxury
Includes headboards, mirrors, nightstands, chests, dressers and other storage units intended primarily for bedroom use. Entry may be by piece or by group. Dresser, Mirror, Bed, Nightstand (4 Piece suggested retail price) must be above $3,000
Bedroom – Broad Appeal
Includes headboards, mirrors, nightstands, chests, dressers and other storage units intended primarily for bedroom use. Entry may be by piece or by group. Dresser, Mirror, Bed, Nightstand (4 Piece suggested retail price) must be below $3,000
Dining – Luxury
Entry must be by a group consisting of a minimum of at least one size table and one model of chair. Table and 4 chairs (5 Piece suggested retail price) must be above: $3,000
Dining – Broad Appeal
Entry must be by a group consisting of a minimum of at least one size table and one model of chair. Table and 4 chairs (5 Piece suggested retail price) must be below: $3,000
Entries in this category include individual or multiple units (groupings) that accommodate audio/video components.
Includes desks, seating, and storage intended for home office. The intent is to combine office functionality with style and sizing suitable for home use. Entry may be made by piece or by group.
Leather Upholstery – Luxury
Includes furniture, either motion or stationary, where the predominant covering is leather. Judging will be based in part on how well the design accommodates the unique problems and opportunities created by leather upholstered furniture. Suggested Retail price must be above: $5,000
Leather Upholstery – Broad Appeal
Includes furniture, either motion or stationary, where the predominant covering is leather. Judging will be based in part on how well the design accommodates the unique problems and opportunities created by leather upholstered furniture. Suggested Retail price must be below: $5,000
This category is for builders/makers creating one of a kind pieces for sale in galleries, stores and or client specific products. Makers should have a independent business providing design and build services for custom furniture and accessories in their local market. This includes wood and mixed material case goods, occasional pieces, seating, upholstery and accessories. Includes both indoor and outdoor products
Includes incandescent or LED fixed lighting intended for indoor home use, including table lamps, floor lamps, pendants and chandeliers. Entry may be by piece or by group.
Entry must be a whole home collection of at least 18 unique pieces. Upholstery, Lighting or accessories can be included only as part of the collection.
Includes pieces whose motion changes the posture and comfort of the person seated. Entry may be made by piece or by group.
Includes occasional furniture whose primary function is storage. Included are wall units, étagères, curio cabinets, or movable storage intended for home use. Entry may be by piece or group, etc. It does not include entertainment or home theater furniture.
Occasional Tables – Luxury
An open piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs or supports, providing a level surface on which objects may be placed. Suggested Retail price must be above: $500
Occasional Tables – Broad Appeal
An open piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs or supports, providing a level surface on which objects may be placed. Suggested Retail price must be below: $500
Stationary Upholstery – Luxury
Includes upholstered pieces with moving trays, shelves, etc., as long as the movement does not affect the posture of the person seated. Entry may be by individual pieces or by group. Suggested Retail price must be above: $2,000
Stationary Upholstery – Broad Appeal
Includes upholstered pieces with moving trays, shelves, etc., as long as the movement does not affect the posture of the person seated. Entry may be by individual pieces or by group. Suggested Retail price must be below: $2,000
Includes tables, chairs and other furniture designed primarily for outdoor or leisure-time settings such as sunrooms, porches, patios or atriums.
Includes furniture for infants and juvenile bedrooms including beds, children’s room accessories, and storage. Entry may be made by individual piece or group.
The Green Leaf Award Subcategory
Products that meet the most discerning design standards while also meeting a legitimately eco-friendly profile.
- CARB Compliance: Eligible entries must contain at least 20% CARB compliant materials, be it Wood, Finish, Cushioning, Textiles, Leather, Metal, Glass, or Plastic.
- 50% of entry’s source of manufacturing is local, or within a 250-mile radius of the manufacturing facility.
- Entry addresses conservation or economy of materials, by construction or volume, versus industry standards.
- Entry has a high percentage of recycled or reclaimed content.
- Entry contains 25-50% FSC-certified wood.
The Green Leaf Award “subcategory” can be entered
in any or all of the 20 Pinnacle categories. You must first enter
your product in the traditional category and then indicate that you would like
to be considered for the Green Leaf Award. For the Green Leaf
subcategory, you must provide supporting evidence on a separate, up loadable
file (limit to one full page), in PDF or word format by referring to the
Sustainable Design Criteria listed below. Please clearly state and be as
thorough as possible when listing the criteria your product meets in regards to
Sustainable Design Criteria Benchmarks
All designs must be CARB compliant on formaldehyde emissions and each of the following standards must be met for designs using at least 20% of the following materials by volume:
Either sourced from a Low Risk zone as defined by Forest Stewardship Council’s Global Forest Risk Registry OR containing percentages of FSC, SFI or AHMI certified woods OR a rapidly renewable species (e.g. bamboo, rattan, wicker) OR minimum 50% reclaimed.
Non-cotton natural fiber OR certified organic (incl. cotton).
Any structural material other than wood used in design
Minimum 50% post-consumer recycled content.
Vegetable-tanned OR water-based dye.
Minimum 50% post-consumer recycled content.
Either latex OR bio-hybrid foam OR minimum 50% post-consumer recycled content.
Minimum 50% post-consumer recycled content.
Extra consideration will be given to those designs that also meet the following:
- Solid wood construction using no composite board OR minimum 50% FSC-certified.
- 100% Reclaimed or recycled content.
- All materials procured within 250 miles of manufacturing.
- At least 50% less use of materials by volume vs. standard equivalent.
Pinnacle Awards® Student Entry Call for Entry Guidelines
The ISFD Pinnacle Awards® Committee and the Board of
Directors initiated the ISFD Student Pinnacle® Award, as part of our continuing
mission to support, motivate and inspire the designers of tomorrow.
The Student Pinnacle Award® winner will be announced at the 2019 Pinnacle Awards® Gala on Monday, October 21, 2019 during the High Point Market at Congdon Hall on the campus of High Point University. Tickets will go on sale in September 2019 for this event. The winner will receive the Pinnacle Trophy, Winner’s Certificate, free admission to the Pinnacle Awards® Gala and a free student membership to ISFD.
The Student Pinnacle Award® winner will be announced at the 2019 Pinnacle Awards® Gala on Monday, October 21, 2019 during the High Point Market in the IHFC Ballroom. The winner will receive the Pinnacle Trophy, Winner’s Certificate, free admission to the Pinnacle Awards® banquet and a free student membership to ISFD.
The 2019 Student Pinnacle Category is a selected piece from the student’s body of work. Any piece selection from the bedroom, dining, occasional, home office, seating or entertainment category may be entered.
- The competition is open to students majoring in Furniture Design at an accredited college or university.
- Seniors graduating in May, 2019 are eligible. Graduate students are eligible.
- All entries must fully be the work of the entering student.
- Any entry which does not meet ALL competition rules will not be judged.
- Incomplete packages will not be considered.
- All decisions of the judges are final.
- Winning entries and contestant’s identity, including photographs, may be used for publicity by ISFD or the Competition sponsors.
- ISFD will assume no responsibility for lost, damaged or stolen entries.
- The judges reserve the right not to issue an award if they do not feel the quality of work meets the design standards.
- Students must meet all General Competition Rules to enter.
- Students are limited to a total of one (1) entry in the competition.
- Students must completely fill out and sign the Competition Entry Form.
- Descriptive Data/Product Information:
- Include a typed description of the product, including noteworthy features and materials.
- The project may be hand drawn, completed with computer aided design, or a harmonious combination of both. A final rendering must be submitted.
- Entries must be received on or before Wednesday, July 31st, 2019 @ 5PM.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria of design excellence:
- Design Originality: How fresh and original is the design?
- Form and Function: a harmonious combination of visual appeal (style, finishes, materials) with function which helps achieve the item’s designated objective(s).
- Design Aesthetic: Is the design visually appealing? Are the materials selected appropriate for the design? Are scale and proportions correct?
Presentation: Is the presentation attractive, well presented, and interesting?